- Learn how to surf at San Juan Surf Resort
- Check in at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, the “Santorini of Asia”
- Have fun at Pugo Adventure Park (PUGAD)
- Relax and take a picture at Pebble Beach
- Witness Mt. Puraw’s sea of clouds
- Go cliff jumping in Tangadan Falls
- Try La Union’s most famous local delicacies
- Halo Halo de iloko
- Natalna Grille
- Try grape picking in Lomboy Farms
- Take a refreshing dip at Balay Anito Falls
- Dine in and chill at Fatwave Surf Resort
La Union, fondly called Elyu, is a beautiful province in the Philippines that is known for its surfing, beaches, and laid-back atmosphere.
Whether you’re a beach lover, a thrill-seeker, or a foodie, La Union has something special in store for you. Here are 10 things you can do to enjoy your Elyu adventure!
1. Learn how to surf at San Juan Surf Resort
Address: 238 Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union
Email: [email protected]
Contact Details: 072 6879990 | +63 956-578-8101 | +63 9178875470
- Surf Lesson with Instructor -P500 (per hour)
- Surf Guide (Advance Lesson) – P600
- Surf Boat Rental – Depending on Skill Level – P250 (per hour)
- P500 (half day)
- P800 (whole day)
In La Union, San Juan Surf Resort is the ideal place to learn how to surf. There, you’ll be guided by legendary local surfer Luke Landrigan.
He provides top-notch instruction, as a level 2 surf coach accredited by the International Surfing Association (ISA) and the first Filipino to receive a Bronze Medallion and surf rescue training from Surf Life Saving Australia.
- After a long surf session, treat yourself to a refreshing smoothie bowl at Seabuds. It’s the perfect way to recharge and indulge in a delicious and healthy post-surf meal.
2. Check in at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, the “Santorini of Asia”
Address: Poro Point Freeport Zone San Fernando City, La Union
When in La Union, try to check in or just visit Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point. It’s a top-tier integrated resort with luxurious accommodations, world-class amenities, and breathtaking views of the Poro Point Peninsula.
Its picturesque white-washed buildings and blue-domed roofs are reminiscent of Santorini, Greece. Even better ,it’s perched on a cliff with views of the West Philippine Sea and the Sierra Madre Mountains, making it an Instagram-worthy destination.
- If you enjoy golf, be sure to visit the resort’s course, which was designed by world-renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
3. Have fun at Pugo Adventure Park (PUGAD)
Address: Sitio Kagaling Palina Pugo, La Union
Email: [email protected]
Contact Details: +63917 506 6931 | +639291903975 | 0726198713
- Monday to Sunday – 8 AM to 5 PM
- Entrance Fee – P200 (Adults) | P150 (Kids 4ft below) | FREE (kids 2ft below)
*The rates include access to the swimming pools.
PUGAD Adventure Park is a popular destination known for its natural beauty and pleasant climate. It offers a variety of activities, including the province’s first zipline adventure, wall climbing, repelling, and pools for both kids and adults.
The park is nature-themed, making it an ideal choice for families, friends, and couples seeking a relaxing and enjoyable getaway close to nature.
- For animal lovers, be sure to check out PUGAD Park’s mini zoo.
4. Relax and take a picture at Pebble Beach
Address: Luna, La Union
Pebble Beach in Luna, La Union, is a unique shoreline covered with small, smooth stones that extend into the sea. Walking barefoot on these pebbles offers a relaxing experience, but swimming is not recommended due to the strong waves.
The beach’s unusual shoreline creates louder wave echoes and a calming environment, ideal for observation and meditation or capturing Instagram-worthy photos or videos.
- Don’t miss the chance to explore Bahay na Bato, which is just along Pebble beach. It’s a gallery and museum that’s also open for staycations.
5. Witness Mt. Puraw’s sea of clouds
Address: Bauang, La Union
Mt. Puraw, also known as Kabugbugan, is an excellent location for viewing the stunning sunrise and sunset over La Union. The breathtaking view of rivers, hills, mountains, and the sea from the peak is just wonderful!
If you are physically fit, the climb is short and easy, taking about 15-30 minutes, and rewards you with a 360-degree view of neighboring mountains and beautiful seascapes.
- After your hike, treat yourself to a refreshing drink at Ciano Umok Gallery Cafe to quench your thirst and relax.
6. Go cliff jumping in Tangadan Falls
Address: Brgy. Amontoc, San Gabriel, La Union
- Environmental fee – P30
- Guide fee – P234 (per person)
Tangadan Falls is a captivating double-tiered waterfall, with the second tier standing out at a height of 40 feet with a broader catch basin.
You can enjoy swimming in the refreshing 20-foot catch basin, try cliff jumping from rocks at 10 and 30 feet high, and capture picture-perfect moments in this stunning setting.
- Remember to bring snacks and a refillable water bottle with you on your visit. The trek, while short, can be exhausting, especially on the way back.
7. Try La Union’s most famous local delicacies
Complete your trip to La Union by indulging in their famous delicacies. Here are three must-try local treats from the region!
Halo Halo de iloko
Address: Zandueta St, San Fernando, La Union
Contact Details: +63917 511 7919
- Monday to Sunday – 9 AM to 8 PM
Halo Halo de Iloko is renowned for its creative variations of the traditional halo-halo dessert, featuring choices like Buko Halo Halo and the popular Fried Halo-Halo, a treat includes ice cream, ube, and cherry wrapped in a lumpia wrapper.
You should also try their emparedados, a native bread filled with flavorful homemade La Union longanisa and creamy cheese, and the delectable Okoy Tikyosko, a mouthwatering shrimp fritter.
Address: 379 St. Jude Village, Brgy Ili Norte, San Juan, La Union
Contact Details: +63969 295 7948
For a unique culinary experience, consider dining at Makan. They offer experimental Filipino food that creatively blends flavors from various regions and influences.
Don’t miss their take on dinakdakan, a popular Ilocano dish made from grilled pork parts like the face, ears, liver, and tongue, mixed with a flavorful dressing of vinegar, onion, ginger, and chili peppers.
Address: San Vicente Road, Barangay Pagudpud, San Fernando La Union
Contact Details: 072 6192846 | +63920 906 8336 | +63917 510 5755
- Monday to Sunday – 10:30 AM to 8 PM
Natalna Grille, located in San Fernando, La Union, is a Filipino restaurant known for its affordable and delectable seafood, grilled dishes, and Ilocano specialties.
Here you can try pulpog, grilled pork marinated in vinegar, onion, calamansi juice, and spices. It is like a type of kilawin, a cooking method over the fire, and is a popular delicacy in the Ilocos region.
- For the ultimate food trip, head over to Elyu’s Food Park. You’ll find a wide variety of delicious and mouthwatering dishes to satisfy your cravings.
8. Try grape picking in Lomboy Farms
Address: Manila North Road, Bauang, La Union
Email: [email protected]
Contact Details: 072 610 3925
- Monday to Sunday – 7 AM to 4 PM
Did you know that La Union is the Grape Capital of the Philippines? That’s why you should check out Lomboy Grape Farm, the pioneer of grape cultivation in the Philippines.
This sprawling vineyard in Bauang, La Union was founded in 1972 by Avelino Lomboy, who is known as the “Philippines King of Grapes”. Here, you can wander among the grape vines, pick your own fresh grapes, and taste their homemade wines.
- Visit the farm during the grape harvest season in La Union, which typically begins in February and ends in April.
9. Take a refreshing dip at Balay Anito Falls
Address: Sitio Banbanaba, Lettac Sur, Santol, La Union
Contact Details: 072-6030-154 | +63918 3913 674
- Monday to Sunday – 6 AM to 6 PM
- Motorcycle Fare – P200
Balay Anito, also known as the “house of unseen friends or Anitos,” is considered mystical due to its association with spirits that protect the surrounding forest. Despite its smaller size, the falls possess a majestic charm.
When you arrive, you’ll encounter shallow pools, with the deepest one being the 20-meter pool at the falls’ base. Activities available here include swimming, hiking, sightseeing, and picnicking in the refreshing waters.
- The best months to visit the Balay Anito Falls are from August to March.
10. Dine in and chill at Fatwave Surf Resort
Address: MacArthur Highway, Brgy. Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union
Email: [email protected]
Contact Details: +63 917 885 5754 | +63 995 824 1300
- Monday to Sunday – 8 AM to 12 AM
If you just want to eat, drink, chill, or party by the beach, Fatwave Surf Resort is located in the heart of La Union’s surf town. Here, you can enjoy delicious American, Asian, and international cuisine, and unwind at the bar with live DJ music and happy hour.
You can also check into their hotel, a bold and unique fusion of Mediterranean and tropical bohemian design, for a stylish and relaxing getaway.
- Fatwave Surf Resort’s Happy Hour starts at 2 PM to 8 PM.